Monday 10 June 2013

Two from the Fort and a nod to Maurice Sendak

Well I haven't written about any of my sketches in the last little while, and figured I should or I may become more rusty at it then I already am.

I came across some of my old photos I took while visiting Old Fort William over 20 years ago, and decided to use them as subjects for a couple of my sketch sessions this past week. The sketch of the couple were likely labourers of the fort (engagés). She likely baked breads in the ovens while he may have been the fort's farmer or one of the fort's craftsmen. His attire would not suggest that he was one of the Fort's partners or gentlemen (bourgeois) of the company.

The male aiming his rifle is a voyageur stationed at the camp. He would have been  called upon to help protect the NorthWest Company's assets whenever the fort came under threat.





Finally a nod to Maurice Sendak who died just over a year ago.  This is a quick sketch of one of the Wild Things from his book "Where the Wild Things Are". Mr. Sendak would have been 85 today.



No comments:

Post a Comment